Sunday, 22 July 2007

Endorsement

Wow - I have been endorsed. Several times today, in fact. The one actually tipping the scales and resulting in a post is a link to this site on the vastly under-visited (or at least under-commented-on) http://www.laninator.blogspot.com/. (The others happened at church tonight and were meaningful, though of course related to different stuff.)

Being endorsed, especially by people whose opinions hold some weight, is quite something: empowering, inspiring, honouring... I'm not saying that all this wells up from a single-word link on someone's blog - well, but maybe it does. Maybe it does. The value of our comments and compliments, eh? Powerful.

Which leads, helpfully, into another of my favourite questions:
What's the best compliment you've ever received?

It can be quite cool to hear what people say to this. It was a question (possibly from the Un-Game, though I didn't know the game existed at the time) asked at a Christian group in my first year at uni, and I've remembered it since. You won't necessarily have an answer at the moment (I'd love to hear it, if you do! Please share.) but even so, it tunes your ears into memorable compliments from here on in, and you may find yourself collecting a little pocketful over the years, to cheer yourself in gloomy moments. Or over the dishes. Or while waiting at traffic lights. Wherever, really. Collect a whole bagful.


My two favourites so far are:

"If I did a thesis, it'd be on her head." - said in jest by a dear friend while we were talking with someone else about possible postgrad study. (on my thoughts, I think, rather than on the contents (or contours) of my skull.)

Another one came just a couple of weeks ago from another dear friend, via text. I can't remember what I'd said, but it resulted in:
"If I get stranded on a desert island I hope it's with you... You are so resourceful! :-)"
Just lovely.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember once being told I was "a woman of mana". It was the beginning of the road to becoming more accepting of compliments. It actually had quite a profound impact on me at the time because I never really thought myself to have any type of strength or wisdom... just a little namby pamby here and there.

Your blogful endorsement made me feel rather chuffed too. Actually more than that... encouraged? honoured? empowered? yeah. So too does "thinker extraordinaire".

I must say though Lee. You have been rather inspiring when I think of giving other people compliments. I got quite a lot when we were living together last year and they always made me feel special, so I've taken to doing the same lately for others. It's always lovely to be received with a smile.

Thanks :)

Anonymous said...

I should say, you've been "inspiring" without the "rather"

Anonymous said...

Lee! You have a blog! Awesome. I was genuously stoked to see that. Should make it easier to keep up with what you're up to.

Anonymous said...

Lee,

I have been trying to get a hold of you by email, but it doesn't seem to be working...tried your hotmail address and the other one too. Are they getting through?

Anyway, I'll try here. The contents of the emails:

When are you heading to Kenya?

Can you send me a couple of Sola Rosa tracks by email?

So, about the 'negative' comments...they just make me laugh. I think they are just comments for the sake of commenting. Not really knowing what to say, so just saying something inane. They don't bother me. Also, in a way it's refreshing. I guess it makes me feel that they feel that I have the ability to do this, and that there isn't really much surprise or need to feel awed or amazed by my efforts. That reflects how I feel about what I am doing. It's just what I do at the moment...if you catch my drift.

Thank you for your concern, Lee. But don't worry. My mum's side of the family is a classic family of fairly girly girls. What I am doing is so far removed from their reality that comments like 'what will you do in the deserts of Arizona?' just make me laugh. "For goodness sake, Aunty Lyn, I'll work it out. Don't worry." Har har.

So yeah...I think this answers your question. A question that is not at all out of line. I appreciate your insight into things.

I hope to be back to NZ by late July, but it'll probably end up being mid-August.

Rob